Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Staying with .Com Only

one other reason is it helps keep competitors from trying to gain traffic off your COM domain, especially if you are gaining ground and someone has gotten "mad" at you and want to try to steal traffic.
In the old days it was easier since the main domains people were familiar with were the COM/ORG/NET ones and would ignore going to another domain unless they knew it was the site they wanted.
With the plethora of TLDs now that social engineering can be done much more easily, especially if the other site can get a higher position on search engines than your site since few look at the actual domain names they visit, trusting that the search engine is giving them what they they (the user) wants.

How many of us that have been "domain shopping" have looked up a domain, saw that the COM was taken but the ORG/NET was available and purchased it? I know I have with a few that I eventually let die as I realized that the COM domain was getting more traffic and making it harder to find mine.
I went with .org because .com and .net were taken for my site's name and making the URL different from the name, I felt, would be harder to remember.

I want the new extensions to be developed. I mean, why have they been created, if nobody uses them? Well, the whole only.com thing or only .com/.net/.org thing is something for some people and not for others. It's probably something more appealing to those who incredibly serious about their site, as opposed to someone just wanting to have fun.

they are created to make more money for the folks that hold the TLDs!

Now it is all about the

Cat Swag GIF by MOODMAN

The other problem was there are only variations that you can use with the old TLD's that were not already taken.
It is no different than someone getting microsoft.software because microsoft.com is already taken.
But honestly... the real reason was most likely to offer more preciseness in some of the domains.
youronestop.shop looks (and in ways makes more sense) than youronestopshop.com.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor